Container House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Container House

Reduce Your Carbon Footprint by Making Your Next Home Out of A Shipping Container!

Buy The Container Home CD<<>>
Container House Living   Living Inside A Shipping Container Home

Buy Container Home CD Which is Mailed to YOU!

Learn How To Blog !
I also have a Website on Blogging For Beginners! If you are interested in learning how to Blog and possibly making a part/full time income doing so, then please take a peek at my site: BlogTools.Biz
Container Construction E-Book

container home guide

Photos2
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Top posting users this month
No user

Statcounter

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the best footings?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's the best footings? Empty What's the best footings? Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:49 am

richard4939

I have all my idea's for several container house's but my first question is what is the best footings to mount my container house on? Concreate or raised off the floor? If concreate how thick a base slab?

2What's the best footings? Empty concrete or raised flooring? Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:39 pm

admin

admin
Admin

Hello richard4939

from what i understand there are reasons for having both but it depends on your living environment situation. do you live near the coast where water can be an issue? if so, then a raised floor is def. a better choice. concrete as a base has its goods and bads. yes, it is very stable and solid but at the same time most people have their pluming and several electrical buried within the concrete and if they need to repair anything, that would be a total mess and huge expense to dig up to repair.

People who live in areas where expansive clay soils are especially troublesome can really benefit from raised wood floor systems. Pier and beam foundations can be used that bypass the pesky clay soils that often cause significant cracks in slab-on-grade homes. Slabs can be engineered to resist expansive clay soils, but if the workmen don't build the slab exactly right, the best intentions of the engineer become worthless as soon as the soil expands or contracts

Hope that helps !

D Lee

ContainerHouse.info

https://containerhouse.rpg-board.net

3What's the best footings? Empty hi Wed May 09, 2012 1:38 pm

terry45spt

i am curious about this too.

4What's the best footings? Empty Best Footings Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Costa Rica ContainerMan

Admin

The footings will depend on what you are putting on top. A 40ft container, or a 20ft container, or if you are planning to stack one-two-three high. Anymore, than two high I would suggest you contact a structural engineer. With a 40ft container you will want to have a footing at the 4 corner posts as well as the center(20ft) midline. If you are cutting out any big sliding doors then you would want to place footings at the end of these doorways. If you are merging two containers and cutting out the middle then you will want footings at the center of the cutout on both sides. We generally use cement pilings with rebar inside. We place the pilings into the ground 3ft. Before we do all this, we create a 3ftx3ft square, 10" thick at the bottom of the hole that the piling sits on top and the rebar goes through.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum